3.447 Japanese on IBM PCs (44)

Thu, 7 Sep 89 22:18:42 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 447. Thursday, 7 Sep 1989.

Date: Wed, 6 Sep 89 22:45 EST
From: <LACUREJ@IUBACS>
Subject: Japanese on an IBM PC

> Does anyone have experience using Japanese on IBM PC's? I've
> been using the ATOK (ASCII to Kanji) software on a Toshiba J-3100

I'm not familiar with ATOK or the Toshiba J-3100 so I'm
not sure of their capabilities, but one of the more interesting
developments in Japanese capabilities on the normal PC is a small
program called KANJIVIEW. At this point it just reads Japanese
in several flavors including shift-JIS format (the most common
format for microcomputers) but I've been told the author has
plans to develop word processing capabilities.
The author is:
Steven W. Johnston
10344 Kenlee Drive
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70815 USA

He can be contacted on Compuserve as user #73300,517
(now connected to the internet) and on GEnie as user S.JOHNSTON2.
The program is shareware and is, I believe, available on
Compuserve.
Also Seiichi Nomura at Univ. of Texas, Arlington has
written a short program in Turbo Pascal 4.0 that can read
internet mail from Japan (JUNET mail is currently being
distributed through Stanford mostly for Mac users).

Jon LaCure
Indiana University Library
Bloomington, IN 47405
Bitnet : lacurej@iujade