3.367 new casebook; new e-journal (123)

Thu, 17 Aug 89 21:17:44 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 367. Thursday, 17 Aug 1989.

(1) Date: Thu, 17 Aug 89 09:52:42 EDT (40 lines)
From: Ian Lancashire <IAN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: A casebook for English teachers

(2) Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 15:51:45 CDT (62 lines)
From: Charles Bailey <LIB3@UHUPVM1>
Subject: PACS Review, an Electronic Journal

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 89 09:52:42 EDT
From: Ian Lancashire <IAN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

Readers of Humanist will be interested in a booklet that has just
reached me. This gives a rare opportunity to peep over the shoulders
of several teachers of computing-in-English-Studies courses as their
semester unfolds.

Teaching English Studies with Computers: An Informal Casebook, ed.
David S. Miall (Cheltenham, College of St Paul and St Mary, July
1989), 60 pp., provides course outlines, student handouts,
evaluations, and extracts from students' projects for English courses
involving computing that have been given at Birmingham Polytechnic,
the University of Leeds, and the College of St. Paul and St. Mary.

This booklet will be especially useful to staff who want to introduce
a computing element into their English literature courses but are unsure
how to make a start.

Much of the instruction concerns the use of Oxford Concordance Program,
but there is also a section on a database management system named
GRASS, and use is also made of EXTRACT, FAMULUS, CONCORD, ESTC, and
STATUS.

The booklet also offers helpful papers by Lynette Hunter of the
University of Leeds ("Learning Methods and Course Design") and David
Miall ("Implications for Learning"), to appear in fuller versions
in an OUP collection of papers from the CATH conference at
Southampton in December 1988.

The price is 3 pounds sterling or $5 (US), including surface postage,
and may be ordered from

Administrative Officer
Faculty of Arts
College of St. Paul and St. Mary