3.327 TeX and PC-TeX (67)

Sat, 5 Aug 89 15:24:15 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 327. Saturday, 5 Aug 1989.

(1) Date: Fri, 04 Aug 89 14:27:48 CDT (22 lines)
From: Steven J. DeRose <D106GFS@UTARLVM1>
Subject: TeX

(2) Date: 08/04/89 15:44:59 EST (27 lines)
From: <HORTONT@SERVAX> (TOM=HORTON)
Subject: TeX/LaTeX for DOS

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 89 14:27:48 CDT
From: Steven J. DeRose <D106GFS@UTARLVM1>

I'd like to add one small caveat about TeX:

TeX is not an authoring or writing system, but a *typesetting* system.
As that it is very good; that is to say, it allows you to place ink on
paper in quite subtle and sophisticated ways. *However,* I suspect most
of us are not professional typesetters, have no training in graphic design
anyway, and would make better use of our time by writing than by typesetting.

If you need to produce camera-ready copy, TeX is great; but this is a job
publishers used to do for you, at their own expense (both money and time).
While you're adding "italic corrections" and playing with leading, you
could instead be writing your next book, so I'd recommend thinking through
your goals before starting to learn TeX.

LaTeX is less prone to these criticisms, but still doesn't insulate
the author from the details as well as it might.

Steve DeRose