3.288 anti-intellectualism, etc., cont. (226)

Wed, 26 Jul 89 08:32:40 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 288. Wednesday, 26 Jul 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 25 Jul 89 14:48:00 EDT (19 lines)
From: Martin Ryle <RYLE@urvax.urich.edu>
Subject: RE: 3.275 anti-intellectualism, etc. (218)

(2) Date: Tue, 25 Jul 89 14:47 EDT (187 lines)
From: <S_RICHMOND@UTOROISE>
Subject: the status of intellectual culture, clerics, and a

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 89 14:48:00 EDT
From: Martin Ryle <RYLE@urvax.urich.edu>

Sheldon Richmond denigrates the value of seeking rigorous definition of terms
in intellectual debate, and he demands that we must admit the existence of
transcendent reality, if we are to escape our cultural malaise. Unfortunately,
I am unwilling to admit to such a "reality" without being persuaded of its
existence, and to be persuaded I must understand better than I do now what the
term is meant to imply. Does "transcendent reality" mean something like
Plato's world of forms or something like Aquinas' First Mover or something like
Voltaire's clockmaker or something like something else. I hope that SR will
not assume malice or psychosis of those who attempt to understand his thesis in
terms that resonate in their own experience. As a prof once told me in my
youth, "'Self-evident' really means only 'evident to one's self'
." Until I
have some confidence that SR and I are talking about the same transcendence, I
will be forced to assume that the term carries connotations that he may not
intend. Try again, Sheldon.