3.278 physics as metaphor; intellectualism (151)

Sat, 22 Jul 89 15:49:48 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 278. Saturday, 22 Jul 1989.

(1) Date: Thu, 20 Jul 89 22:06:00 EDT (50 lines)
From: <BCJ@PSUVM.bitnet>
Subject: physics as metaphor

(2) Date: Friday, 21 July 1989 1036-EST (81 lines)
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS
Subject: Intellectualism, Rationality and Method

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 89 22:06:00 EDT
From: <BCJ@PSUVM.bitnet>

Rhetoricians often warn against the dangers of pursuing every
conceivable parallel implicit in a metaphor (or, conversely, of rejecting
a metaphor apt on its major levels of correspondence because other parts
of the comparison do not mesh). I confess that quantum mechanics make me
dizzy, and assure my colleagues that I do not consider myself in any way
qualified to join the debate about the essential meaning of this (to me)
arcane realm of thought. Still, since I have observed that most humanists
who refer to it are actually poaching in other disciplines, part of the
endless search for curious likenesses, analogies, similitudes, models,
gnomic or parabolical explanations, &c. --- and not really leaping into
the pit among the active, professional theory brokers. It's valuable if
we can use it, even if we don't use it absolutely correctly. Indeed, in
some ways, our misunderstandings may be valuable, too.

Anyway, let me recommend to all readers of HUMANIST a remarkable
story that has just appeared in _Harper's_, Jane Hamilton's "When I Began
to Understand Quantum Mechanics" (Vol. 279, No. 1671, August, 1989, pp.
41-9). The protagonist's uncle, a physicist, has been feeding her "brain
food" for some time; the intellectual formulae she has absorbed help her
explain (understand?) occurrences that otherwise seem inexplicable. When,
for instance, she and her sister have to sing "All things wise and wonder-
ful, / The Lord God made them all. / Each little flower that opens, / Each
little bird that sings...", she substitutes "fart" for "flower", her action
is hard to understand:

> No one mentioned my slip, not even Kelly, who has always been
> good, but in retrospect I understand that the error was in some ways
> like the big bang, that there was a very tiny but non-negligible
> probability that an explosion would happen and then it did, and
> voila, here we are on planet Earth. The same thing with my goof: the
> key phrase being "non-negligible probability." However small the
> chance, I was bound to sing the wrong word.

Without giving away the events of the story, I can say that the heroine
undergoes what Joyce calls an "epiphany" in her perception of life, a
life that changes in part *because* it is being perceived. Things aren't
as they seem. *The fact that the world shifts when it is measured means
simply that you cannot make precise predictions about it.* This principle,
together with Heisenberg's principle of uncertainty and the notion of
particles as waves (& vice versa), all contribute to a woozy shock of
recognition.

I would be very glad to hear from other HUMANISTs how they respond
to Hamilton's story.

-- Kevin Berland, Penn State (BCJ@PSUVM)