3.268 announcements (140)

Wed, 19 Jul 89 19:15:54 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 268. Wednesday, 19 Jul 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 23:21:30 EDT (29 lines)
From: "Matthew Gilmore, Special Collections GW" <LIBRSPE@GWUVM>
Subject: return of CHE

(2) Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 23:37:51 EDT (22 lines)
From: "Matthew Gilmore, Special Collections GW" <LIBRSPE@GWUVM>
Subject: AIIM

(3) Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 23:46:48 EDT (24 lines)
From: "Matthew Gilmore, Special Collections GW" <LIBRSPE@GWUVM>
Subject: information needs--scholars

(4) Date: Wed, 19 Jul 89 15:05:30 +0100 (35 lines)
From: iwml@UKC.AC.UK
Subject: BIBLICAL DATABASE EXHIBITION

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 23:21:30 EDT
From: "Matthew Gilmore, Special Collections GW" <LIBRSPE@GWUVM>

I get the Chronicle of Higher Education for a number of reasons,
so I don't want to seem to be pushing it but, this week's issue
(July 19) seems also relevant to HUMANIST.

Cover page--article by Katherine Mangan
"Trinity's 'Logical Detectives' stalk Jack the Ripper:
Would Socrates have approved?"

Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas has a
Center for Undergraduate Philosophical Analysis.
The article explains that students can practice their skill of
logic, critical reasoning, and moral responsibility in decision making.
They have game played through Jack the Ripper's killings, reviewing
the evidence and deciding on motives via querying the computer.
(The kicker is that the professor has the answer programmed in
already and students have to come closest to HIS answer. Hmm?)
(Of course I am summarizing from a summary in the CHE, so doubtless
this explanation could be expanded.)
Students also created an AIDS experts system, and are working on
"a report to the drug czar."

I'm not a philosopher, so would some HUMANIST philosopher provide
some commentary on work at Trinity?

Matthew Gilmore