3.168 "gornisch"; citing Humanist; spell-checking (126)

Sun, 25 Jun 89 19:29:11 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 168. Sunday, 25 Jun 1989.

(1) Date: Sun, 25 Jun 89 13:05:33-020 (28 lines)
From: Ephraim Nissan <ONOMATA@BENGUS>
Subject: comment on 3.165 "gornisch"

(2) Date: Sun, 25 Jun 89 13:25:45-020 (59 lines)
From: Ephraim Nissan <ONOMATA@BENGUS>
Subject: How to cite Humanist

(3) Date: Sat, 24 Jun 89 22:26:57 EDT (14 lines)
From: Daniel Boyarin <BOYARIN@TAUNIVM.bitnet>
Subject: Re: 3.164 spell-checking (35)

Date: Sun, 25 Jun 89 13:05:33-020
From: Ephraim Nissan <ONOMATA@BENGUS>

(3) Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 16:39:07 IST
From: daniel boyarin <BOYARIN@TAUNIVM>
Subject: medieval romance word

> In the fourteenth century in Germany, there appears a new literary genre
> in talmudic commentary called glosses of "gornisch". Since these same texts
> are referred to in Hebrew by a word that means margins, I suspect this of
> being a medieval french word that has some such meaning. does anyone know of
> a usage of "garniture" or something like that to mean the margins of books
> where one would write glosses. it could be somewhat earlier than the
> fourteenth century as judaeo romance tends to be quite conservative.

MY COMMENT:

In Romance languages, e.g. Italian "cornice" = "frame"
(= Modern Hebrew "misgeret"), such use looks quite possible,
as glosses are written on the "frame", the margins that
enclose the text. This should be the case also for
the medieval French (or Jewish Rhenisch Romance?) "gornisch".
By the way, I once happened to browse a Jewish toponomastic
lexicon from the 19th century, but is there any (possibly recent)
material specifically devoted to the German Judeo-Romance toponomastics
(and/or women names) of places especially in Germany?
Ephraim Nissan onomata@bengus.bitnet