3.145 various queries (105)

Tue, 20 Jun 89 18:18:20 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 145. Tuesday, 20 Jun 1989.

(1) Date: Mon, 19 Jun 89 22:18:17 EDT (33 lines)
From: "Matthew Gilmore, Special Collections GW" <LIBRSPE@GWUVM>
Subject: Defining the Humanities

(2) Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 10:38:26 EDT (16 lines)
From: CSMIKE@vax.swansea.ac.uk
Subject: LaserJet driver

(3) Date: Thu, 89 0 06:20 CET (9 lines)
From: HEBERLEIN@URZ.KU-EICHSTAETT.DBP.DE
Subject: machine readable dictionaries italian/frech

(4) Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 15:45:20 CDT (17 lines)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVME>
Subject: Re: 3.142 MLA bibliography, cont. (97)

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 89 22:18:17 EDT
From: "Matthew Gilmore, Special Collections GW" <LIBRSPE@GWUVM>

Recently I have been working on an article with a colleague of mine
about scholars in the humanities and their use of electronic
technology (which I why I joined HUMANIST with alacrity when I ran
across it). My colleague was stressing *resistance* to adopting
technology. I may try to shift the focus just a little.

Anyway, one of the first stumbling block we had was defining
*the humanities*. A number of definitions exist, but chiefly in
negative form = not science, not social science.
Would anyone care to offer suggestions on what makes an academic
discipline *humane*? Are there commonalities between anthropologists,
philosophers, art historians, etc.?

And while I am at it, does computer technology change what goes on
in the humanities? (One thing I might wonder about is concordances--
now no one need devote a lifetime to concording. What does this
free them to do?)

Has anybody published *the answer* already?

Thanks for any suggestions you might be able to offer.

Matthew Gilmore
LIBRSPE@GWUVM

207 Gelman Library
2130 H St., NW