3.92 hypertext for translation (55)

Sat, 3 Jun 89 00:07:41 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 92. Saturday, 3 Jun 1989.

Date: 02 Jun 89 08:01 -0330
From: hans@leif.mun.ca
Subject: TRANSLATION/HYPERTEXT (for distribution)

I'm interested in Hypertext applications and am working on some
Hypertext systems in the History of Biblical Interpretation. In
my wider searches I corresponded with Alex Gross, who is interested
in Hypertext for professional translators. He consented to have
the following piece re-distributed on the HUMANIST. Maybe some
people are interested in the same topic. He does not have a BITNET
address but can be reached on CompuServe (71071,1520). His mailing
address is: Cross-Cultural Research Projects, P.O. Box 660, Cooper
Station, New York, NY 10276. Regards, HANS ROLLMANN
(hans@mun.bitnet)

HYPERTEXT FOR TRANSLATORS: Overhype or Underhype?

Now at last there may be a solution for all those translators
concerned about being engulfed, devoured, and ultimately replaced
by the computer. That solution involves a phenomenon loosely known
as "HyperText." Instead of letting them lead you off to a
workstation or terminal, you can use HyperText methods to build
your own translator's workstation at home and learn more about how
it works than your prospective bosses are likely to know. Anyone
can do this who can run a word processor and has some notion of
what a data base is. The cloud of hype and poor documentation
surrounding HyperText is so thick that some are sure to be
skeptical. So I intend to take three off-the-shelf HyperText
systems without any further ado and show how to start using them
to build useful and intriguing tools for translators. The three
systems I will be describing are the much advertised IZE and Agenda
and the less touted but equally capable HOUDINI and its cousin
PC-Hypertext, though as we will see only the last is an example of
true "HyperText.".

[much deleted]

[A complete version of this description is now available on
the file-server, s.v. HYPRTEXT TRANSLTR. A copy may be obtained
by issuing either an interactive or a batch-job command, addressed to
LISTSERV@UTORONTO -- not to HUMANIST. See your Guide to HUMANIST
for information about how to issue such a command. Problems
should be reported to David Sitman, A79@TAUNIVM, after you
have consulted the Guide and tried all appropriate alternatives.]