3.64 queries (106)

Wed, 24 May 89 21:47:55 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 64. Wednesday, 24 May 1989.

(1) Date: 23 May 1989 (30 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: marble and ivory

(2) Date: Wed, 24 May 89 10:43:02 EDT (37 lines)
From: Ellen Germain <EJGCU@CUVMB>
Subject: Micro applications for scholarly research

(3) Date: Wed, 24 May 89 23:34:22 +0300 (14 lines)
From: <ARONSA@HBUNOS>
Subject: Catholics and Fascism

Date: 23 May 1989
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

This is a request for help that may also be taken as an indirect comment
on the continuing need for human filtering in a world increasingly rich
in data.

I am looking for places in Greek or Latin literature where the
metaphorical qualities of marble and ivory are manifested. The specific
problem I have is in the interpretation of a passage in Ovid's
Metamorphoses (3.418ff), where Narcissus is compared to a statue of
Parian marble and his reflection is said to have an ivory neck.
Elsewhere in that work, marble is something cold, rigid, and colourless
(e.g., those who see the Medusa's head turn into marble), ivory is
comparatively soft and is frequently found in erotic contexts
(Pygmalion) or is otherwise linked to flesh (Pelops). I would feel much
more comfortable in drawing what seems to me the obvious conclusion if I
had passages that support such a distinction. Does anyone know where to
look?

Yes, I have an Ibycus at my fingertips and the TLG and PHI disks, but as
the amount of potential evidence is likely to be large and as this is a
minor point in a large and long overdue project, some human guidance
would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Willard McCarty