2.930: Text Encoding Initiative; 18th cent. studies (68)

Thu, 4 May 89 19:56:02 EDT

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 930. Thursday, 4 May 1989.

(1) Date: Wed, 3 May 89 23:24 EST (30 lines)
From: IDE@VASSAR
Subject: The Text Encoding Initiative

(2) Date: Wed, 3 May 89 07:10:35 EDT (20 lines)
From: FRI001@IBM.SOUTHAMPTON.AC.UK
Subject: 18th century studies: a request

Date: Wed, 3 May 89 23:24 EST
From: IDE@VASSAR

THE TEXT ENCODING INITIATIVE

History of the TEI

In the fall of 1987, the Association for Computers and the Humanities (ACH),
under the directorship of Nancy M. Ide, organized a conference at Vassar College
from which emerged a set of resolutions upon the necessity and feasibility of
defining a set of guidelines to facilitate both the interchange of existing
encoded texts and the creation of newly encoded texts. The resolutions stated
that the guidelines would specify both what features should be encoded and also
how they should be encoded, as well as suggesting ways of describing the
resulting encoding scheme and its relationship with pre-existing schemes.
Compatibility with existing schemes would be sought where possible, and in
particular, ISO standard 8879, Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML),
would provide the basic syntax for the guidelines if feasible.

[A complete version of this announcement is now available on
the file-server, s.v. TXT_ENCD INITIATV. A copy may be obtained
by issuing either an interactive or a batch-job command, addressed to
LISTSERV@UTORONTO -- not to HUMANIST. See your Guide to HUMANIST
for information about how to issue such a command. Problems
should be reported to David Sitman, A79@TAUNIVM, after you
have consulted the Guide and tried all appropriate alternatives.]