coding Sanskrit, cont. (33)

Thu, 27 Apr 89 20:43:42 EDT

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 902. Thursday, 27 Apr 1989.

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 89 00:15 EDT
From: <JHUBBARD@SMITH.BITNET>
Subject: Sanskrit and Librarians

I am not sure which system Mathieu is referring to (American
National Standard for Information Sciences: Extended Latin
Alphabet Coded Character Set for Bibliographic Use), but
all else being equal it sounds like a likely candidate for
the system to go with-- I am appreciate librarians and their
impact as well as their usually broad-minded attitude. Having
to deal with many different systems, languages, eccentric
scholars, wierd manuscripts, and the like, they often seem to
have a "larger" frame of reference (Sanskritists often don't
care about Pali, for example). This is definately true for
the Chinese Japanese Korean language groups (my real area of
concern), where they, in conjunction with other research groups,
have come up with a system that transcends the nationalism of
the various national standards (the Japanese will never worry
about Korean, the Taiwanese and mainland China don't have much
interest in making their respective "standards" standard, etc.).
Can you describe this system for us? How does it relate to the
ISO standard mentioned in an earlier message?

Jamie