"resend" again (87)

Tue, 25 Apr 89 22:46:15 EDT

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 892. Tuesday, 25 Apr 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 25 Apr 89 00:17:44 EDT (38 lines)
From: "Patrick W. Conner" <U47C2@WVNVM.bitnet>
Subject: "resend" and e-style (181)

(2) Date: Tue, 25 Apr 89 12:44:09 EDT (29 lines)
From: Grace Logan <logan@watdcs.UWaterloo.ca>
Subject: Resend

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 89 00:17:44 EDT
From: "Patrick W. Conner" <U47C2@WVNVM.bitnet>

Robert Kirsner thinks that the opposition to *resend* must have come from
a*litnik*. As one of the first defenders of the use of *resend*, I feel
compelled to say that I'm a *litnik*, too. My Ph.D. is in Old English
literature, and I teach philology, linguistics, British literature, and
now paleography/codicology. No literature teacher trained since 1965, and
not many trained earlier, would attempt to define what can and cannot be
a part of the English vocabulary. It's fascinating that that's what Mr.
Kirsner THINKS we do. Perhaps, he had a bad poetry teacher in high school who
told him Robert Frost's poetry was all about death, or perhaps he's measuring
us all against some silly colleague in the English department at UCLA (mais
non!) who runs about *correcting* folks' spoken English (Alas, those people
are the mad scientists of the English department, and they've led to more
misunderstanding about what we do than Mary Shelley caused to be visited
upon biology professors.), but in any case he's wrong. *Litniks* and
*langniks* are of two cultures because each thinks the other over-complicates
an obvious phenomenon, and neither will take the trouble to find out what
the other is really doing. There is a great deal more to *Hamlet* than
-oedipal problems- (Kirsner's phrase) and more to Goethe than a -concept of
the eardrum- (ibid.), and the successful analysis of Shakespeare and Goethe
is not written by people who want to declare*resend* a linguistic atrocity.
On the other hand, *litniks* who want to ignore advances in linguistic
theory like to think that the only good *langnik* is a polyglot, and thus
they overlook the whole saussurean foundation of language theory which has,
while they weren't looking, become the basis of modern literary critical
theory ever since the advent of structuralism. That there are two cultures
is undoubtedly true, but we should work to integrate these two cultures as
we have tried to integrate others. They have too much to offer each other to
be allowed to stand in a mutually exclusive relationship. To paraphrase
Kirsner, reality is a crutch for those unable to cope with language or fiction.
It's a pity, really. I like to imagine that Shakespeare and Goethe knew how
to walk WITH language and fiction.
--Pat Conner
--Litnik, Langnik, etcnik
--West Virginia University