personal information managers (108)

Sun, 23 Apr 89 20:27:42 EDT

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 877. Sunday, 23 Apr 1989.

(1) Date: Sun, 23 Apr 89 17:26 EST (26 lines)
From: <CAMPBELD@IUBACS>
Subject: pim

(2) Date: 23 April 1989 (59 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: personal information managers

Date: Sun, 23 Apr 89 17:26 EST
From: <CAMPBELD@IUBACS>

I am writing a review essay for Journal of Interdisciplinary
History on Personal Information Managers, and would appreciate
hearing from anyone who has some experience or comments. PIMs are
a new class of software, invented in the last years. They enable
ordinary users to keep track of lots of data. For example, the
humanist who takes notes on a PC will, after a while, have
hundreds of files. One who uses the new library computer
resources--electronic card catalogs and CD-ROM indexes, to
download bibliographies and abstracts--will discover the volume of
material soon escalates. The data base managers, like dBASE, are
designed for highly structured information. For the quantifiers,
the information may include spreadsheets, SPSS files, and all
sorts of things that don't look like text. The PIMS variously
include hard disk searches, indexing, outlining, unstructured data
base manager and editor. Some of the more powerful word
processors include some PIM features. NOTA BENE, for example,
includes FYI3000, an indexing program. Word Perfect has a
rudimentary word search routine.

The PIMs I have seen include Grandview and PC-Outline, Instant
Recall (shareware--still alive?), Agenda and Magellan from Lotus,
IZE, AskSam, and Gofer. Are there others of interest?