electronic communications, cont. (70)

Sat, 22 Apr 89 22:28:41 EDT

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 874. Saturday, 22 Apr 1989.

(1) Date: Sat, 22 Apr 89 12:51:15 CDT (29 lines)
From: Natalie Maynor <MAYNOR@MSSTATE>
Subject: Coinages and E-Style

(2) Date: 22 April 1989 (21 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: electronic communications and scientific research

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 89 12:51:15 CDT
From: Natalie Maynor <MAYNOR@MSSTATE>

I hope you are not getting tired of my frequent postings, but I just
got a note from a fellow HUMANIST that made me interested in finding
out what some of the others of you think about the use of the word
(or non-word) "resend" in my previous posting. She said that she
thought that there was no such verb as "resend" and that the correct
usage would be "send again." (The context here is resending -- or
sending again -- bitnet mail that might have gotten lost.) Did
anybody else find "resend" a strange word? I agree that it probably
doesn't exist as an English verb, and I can see that it might cause
confusion in spoken English because of the existence of the word
"rescind." I'm asking your opinions out of curiosity about
reactions to coinages, what kinds of coinages seem acceptable and
what kinds offensive, etc. Could my use of "resend" be an example
of e-style? I disagree, by the way, with the recent HUMANIST
comment that there is no such thing as electronic style. I'm not
saying that everybody who uses electronic mail changes writing
style, and I do not think that there is much evidence of an
electronic style on HUMANIST. But try looking at the language on
some other lists, not to mention the language in interactive
situations like Relay (if you can stand the e-screaming on Relay very
long). Forgive me for turning HUMANIST into a forum on linguistics.
Then again, the versatility of this list is one of its virtues in my
opinion. Natalie Maynor (maynor@msstate.bitnet)