about what we have and would like to have, cont. (97)

Thu, 13 Apr 89 19:12:29 EDT

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 835. Thursday, 13 Apr 1989.

(1) Date: Wed, 12 Apr 89 20:43:06 CDT (30 lines)
From: Richard Goerwitz <goer@sophist.BITNET>
Subject: nonstandard operating system

(2) Date: Thursday, 13 April 1989 0939-EST (47 lines)
From: THARPOLD@PENNDRLS
Subject: The Mac's (non?) Standard interface

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 89 20:43:06 CDT
From: Richard Goerwitz <goer@sophist.BITNET>

Gads, let's not get into petty wars about whose computer is better.
I need a standard, multitasking programming environment, preferably
one with source code included, and preferably one that is commonly
used in mid-size computer systems. The Mac doesn't have this. MPW
is cute, but it has a pretty grainy implementation of multitasking,
and, I believe, no virtual memory capability. It is also hardly a
standard.

HOWEVER, this is not to say that the Mac is a "bad" machine. It
displays foreign fonts quite nicely, or at least better than IBM
type machines. Not that it is alone in this class, though. The
IBYCUS has a very slick overstrike mechanism that makes it good at
displaying non-western fonts with diacritics. The NeXT box, with
display postscript is also pretty nice. Actually, though, I didn't
have much trouble getting unusual fonts into my PC, with a little
hacking. The problem there is that the operating system doesn't
support this kind of funny business.

One final point: We should strive to avoid brand loyalty. It is
pretty hard to avoid feeling devoted to a machine that one has just
labored for several months to understand fully - one that has per-
haps sucked down a good bit of money to get fully configured. But
for the sake of a healthy market, it's better to remain as aloof as
possible.