Has anyone seen the future, and does it work? (35)

Tue, 11 Apr 89 20:23:34 EDT

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 823. Tuesday, 11 Apr 1989.

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 89 19:30:22 CDT
From: Richard Goerwitz <goer@sophist.BITNET>
Subject: any NeXT news

As I begin to think about buying a new computer some time
in the next year or so, I wonder whether anyone in this
newsgroup has gone through the same process, and has any
more to say about the relative merits of various operating
systems for multilingual purposes. We have heard from
Bob Kraft and Jack Abercrombie on OS/2 facilities, and the
news is sad. I have personally investigated the Mac II,
but it has a nonstandard operating system, and the Unix
they are putting out doesn't even include the source. Any
new news on the NeXT? Do we have new IBYCUS machines com-
ing up (do I hear Unix for the IBYCUS?)?

-Richard L. Goerwitz
goer@sophist.uchicago.edu
rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

[NB: The NeXT and Ibycus workstations will be demonstrated at the software
fair in Toronto, 6-9 June, by imported talent, and Sun Microsystems
will have appropriate hardware at the disposal of Norm Meyrowitz and
Ronald Weissman, who are teaching the Advanced Function Workstations
course in the Summer School. Stay tuned for more information. --W.M.]