optical scanning, cont. (133)

Fri, 7 Apr 89 20:27:28 EDT

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 812. Friday, 7 Apr 1989.

(1) Date: Thursday, 6 April 1989 2251-EST (38 lines)
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS
Subject: Scanning on KDEM 3

(2) Date: Fri, 7 Apr 89 10:29 SET (53 lines)
From: Lelio Camilleri <CONSERVA@IFIIDG>
Subject: RE: ocr for music

(3) Date: Fri, 7 Apr 89 17:07:39 EDT (17 lines)
From: bobh@phoenix (Robert Hollander)
Subject: Re: optical scanners, cont. (94)

Date: Thursday, 6 April 1989 2251-EST
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS

Since Jonathan Altman has made reference to our work at CCAT
(Center for Computer Analysis of Texts) on the KDEM 3 scanner,
let me clarify a thing or two and promise to add more later,
if anyone cares. Once Willard and Ian tell me that I've done my
duty regarding the Toronto Conference Booklets material, and the
Yearbook, I will return to more leisurely discussions of various
sorts!

We found that the KDEM 3 was probably slightly better than the
KDEM 4000 for our multilingual needs -- certainly no worse, if
perhaps slightly less streamlined in operation. We have not scanned
Arabic or Syriac or similar ligatured scripts, although we have
played around with them. We have had very good success with
Hebrew (even some pointed), Aramaic, Yiddish, Coptic, Greek,
Russian, and modern European typefaces -- depending, of course,
on the quality of the material being scanned. The strategy that
Jonathan alludes to, which we have used to great advantage, is
letting the KDEM guess what it is "seeing" (e.g. Hebrew "B" looks
like a "2" and Hebrew "R" looks like a "7"), forcing it to clarify
any ambiguities, and working from there. A post-scanning tailor
is used to convert the jibberish to what you want.

When there is time, I will quibble with Jonathan's preference for
online correction/editing of what is being scanned. For many large
jobs, our experience is the opposite -- the operator will take much
more time than is practical to correct as the machine scans. So we
use a battery of post-scanning tailors, formcheckers, etc., to
deal with this situation. Uninterrupted, the KDEM will scan between
30 to 60 pages per hour of most printed or typed materials. I would
guess that online editing would take at least 3-5 times as long with
most of the materials we have scanned. (And the operator would need
to know the language quite well.)

Enough for now. Bob Kraft (CCAT)