editing and censoring, cont. (74)

Tue, 28 Mar 89 20:46:01 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 774. Tuesday, 28 Mar 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 28 Mar 89 07:45:00 EST (29 lines)
From: N.J.Morgan@vme.glasgow.ac.uk
Subject: Re: editing and censoring, cont. (55)

(2) Date: Tue, 28 Mar 89 11:08 EDT (13 lines)
From: Peter D. Junger <JUNGER@CWRU>
Subject: Giampapa's suggestion

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 89 07:45:00 EST
From: N.J.Morgan@vme.glasgow.ac.uk

I have been in agreement with Willard McCarty on the subject of
moderating HUMANIST. However I'm a little concerned that
suddenly we are being asked to follow the model of a scholarly
journal:

As such, it is just like a journal. [Amsler]

HUMANIST can and should be scholarly, but as an "electronic seminar"
[McCarty] it should not be tied down by the discipline that
journals and their editors (often, I suspect power crazed) tend
to wield.

I neither think nor suspect that Willard is power crazed. I'm just
anxious that we don't lose our to now obvious and delightful
spontaniety of thought and wit.

And why, as an endnote, all these Milton quotations ? If we HUMANISTS
really want cogent thought from the 17th century on the tensions
between discipline and the freedom of the spirit I suggest
they take a look at Friends' literature, which is often obsessed
with the same concerns.

Nicholas Morgan
Scottish History
University of Glasgow