use of the membership list (34)

Sat, 25 Mar 89 00:38:15 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 767. Saturday, 25 Mar 1989.

Date: 25 March 1989
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: use of the membership list

Dear Colleagues:

I have made a slight alteration in the Guide to Humanist to declare that
the membership list and associated information, such as names and
addresses, are not to be used by any of us without general consent. (In
practice, I suppose, this would involve a prior notice or, if you'll
allow it, permission of the editor.) The change has been provoked by two
events, a request by someone not in Humanist for names and addresses so
that he could do a mass-mailing, and the recent distribution by a member
of something I had excluded from Humanist.

As Humanist gets larger and better known, the former will become more
likely. As it is, anyone can send something to me for distribution, but
I don't think we want others to bypass our only filter. In the latter
case, whether or not I was right to exclude the message is beside the
point. I have been specifically requested by two Humanists to say that
this distribution is an abuse. Anyone with thoughts on the matter is
welcome to send them to me; I will eventually publish a summary.

Willard McCarty