bibliography database? emblem conference? (60)

Thu, 23 Mar 89 19:50:30 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 761. Thursday, 23 Mar 1989.

(1) Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 00:03:52 PST (25 lines)
From: Paul Delany <USERAARY@SFU.BITNET>
Subject: biography database

(2) Date: 23 Mar 89 17:01 -0330 (15 lines)
From: dgraham@leif.mun.ca
Subject: Emblem conference at Glasgow

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 00:03:52 PST
From: Paul Delany <USERAARY@SFU.BITNET>

[The following has been submitted on behalf of a colleague. Answers
may be posted publically, since they would likely interest others.
Thank you.]

"I wish to transform several filing cabinets worth of biographical
and bibliographical information on some 500 early Canadian women
writers into a database that will eventually house three to four
thousand authors. Included will be details concerning each person's
family background and structure, places and dates of residence, education,
literary and other careers, club and association memberships, and
publications (book and periodical), as well as secondary and archival
resources. The database should take into account the variability of
information about each person and will cope with different magnitudes
of fields and records. I would like to be able to make fairly
sophisticated queries, such as identifying all authors who published
poetry with a particular press during a particular decade, all authors
who were librarians in a particular region, or all authors who
published only before marriage. A micro program (PC or Mac) would be
preferable to a mainframe, so long as capacity is not a limit. I
would be very interested to hear from anyone who has developed a
similar database, for sharing information and advice."