Markup: SGML, cont. (31)

Sun, 12 Mar 89 23:49:28 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 709. Sunday, 12 Mar 1989.

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 89 15:55:32 GMT
From: Sebastian Rahtz <spqr@CM.SOTON.AC.UK>
Subject: Markup: SGML, cont. (20)

There is another package which can produce SGML output,
The Publisher (ArborText Inc., Suite 300, 535 West William
Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48103; tel.: (313) 996-3566.

Currently available only for Sun workstations and also
very expensive. It is essentially a (more-or-less)
user-friendly front end for TEX.

I wouldn't call it VERY expensive, I think we paid arouund \pounds
1000 for educational discounnt. Having introduced it last week in a
course I am teaching, I forced myself to use it, and was pleasantly
surprised. It seemed to me a good way of getting into SGML, as one can
fiddle with things in an understandable way (for me, ie I can see the
TeX it produces), and then get it to dump SGML and examine the results.

Arbortext do promise Mac and OS/2 versions, I believe

Sebastian Rahtz