reading list, Dominion, cont. (25)

Wed, 8 Mar 89 19:40:58 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 688. Wednesday, 8 Mar 1989.

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 89 12:12 CDT
From: <PHILOSDO@VUCTRVAX>
Subject: Reading re Dominion

I'll be sending Alan Rudrum a few suggestions directly (since I take it
that the sensitivities of HUMANISTS preculde reading material of no
immediate interest to them: sorry, "preclude"), but I did want to
make a puzzled noise about Laura Moye's remark that there is a lot of
non-western material, and the claim that Indian scholars were writing
long before "us". I don't know that either of these claims is false,
but my suspicion is that "the Western tradition" is actually the oldest
continuous tradition in the world, and that our habit of assuming that
"the Orient" is older is actually a very old *Western* habit.
I'd be interested in comments.

Regards, Stephen.