Markup: footnotes and apparatus, cont. (129)

Tue, 7 Mar 89 19:22:13 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 685. Tuesday, 7 Mar 1989.

(1) Date: Mon, 6 Mar 89 21:22:07 EST (36 lines)
From: cbf%faulhaber.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber)
Subject: Re: Markup: footnotes and apparatus (238)

(2) Date: Monday, 6 March 1989 2104-EST (73 lines)
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS
Subject: Textual Variants

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 89 21:22:07 EST
From: cbf%faulhaber.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber)

Michael Sperberg-McQueen has obviously put a lot of thought
into what was launched originally as a response from a query
from one of my colleagues in classics. It turns out, in fact,
that he has a new TLG tape that he wants to read, essentially
separating text and apparatus into two separate files. I do
not know enough about either TLG or UNIX capabilities to advise
him.

But returning to the SGML schema outlined by Michael, as a mythical
end user, I want to be able to search and analyze (1) text alone
(2) apparatus alone (3) both together (4) any given MS or edition.
I think that in the long run we have to look at hypertext editions
as the real solution, where at any point in the text we can move
into any of the MSS or editions which either underlie or parallel
the text at that point. No symbols are necessary in the text,
although there obviously has to be some mechanism to keep the
text and witnesses in sync. Then one can add in editorial
notes, source notes, etc., which could in fact be marked by
the nestle symbol. And at the same time this could all be
keyed to a standard dictionary of the language.

I don't know enough about the Dartmouth Dante project to
say whether all these features are available, but it seems
to me that it would probably serve as a point of departure.

Charles B. Faulhaber
Department of Spanish
UC Berkeley CA 94720
bitnet: ked@ucbgarne