introduction to SGML? (34)

Tue, 7 Mar 89 19:18:50 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 683. Tuesday, 7 Mar 1989.

Date: Tue, 7 Mar 89 09:42 EST
From: <ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD>
Subject: SGML

Some time back some one mentioned a recent book on SGML that
did an adequate job of presenting the basics. I wrote the
reference down but am now unable to find it. I am interested
in converting some articles and an old dissertation to SGML
format and need to learn the basics of SGML mark-up.
Does anyone recall the author and title of the above book?

Also, does anyone know whether progress has been made on SGML
parsers (that would run under Unix) and programs to convert
other types of mark-up to SGML? I have a long dissertation
in "Treatise" format, a format created at the University of
Chicago specifically for its own dissertations. It's based
on Script, I believe (from Waterloo?) (all formatting commands
are dot commands beginning in the first column.) I may try
writing a conversion program myself, but would hate to
duplicate someone else's efforts.

David Carpenter
St. Joseph's University
Philadelphia, PA