humanities computing, cont. (31)

Thu, 23 Feb 89 20:57:00 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 641. Thursday, 23 Feb 1989.

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 14:02:44 EST
From: Joseph Raben <JQRBH@cunyvm.uucp>
Subject: humanities computing

Connie Crosbie and others looking for basic and relatively comprehensive
books on humanities computing may benefit from acquiring two that came
out just as micros were becoming available, and therefore are more uptodate
than Oakman and Hockey. The first is THE ELECTRONIC SCHOLAR: A GUIDE TO
ACADEMIC MIRCRCOMPUTING by John Shelton Lawrence (Norwood NJ 07648: Ablex).
While his emphasis is on such mechanics as word processing, file searching,
and publishing, his perspective is constantlythat of the humanist. The same
is true of Bryan Pfaffenberger's THE SCHOLAR'S PERSONAL COMPUTING HANDBOOK:
A PRACTICAL GUIDE (Boston: Little, Brown). (He informs me that the inventory
has been transferred to Scott, Foresmanin Chicago, to whom a query might more
efficientlybe sent.) He goes beyond Lawrence to include such topics as
networking and number crunching.

Both are well written and organized. They might work as textbooks for a
graduate course. If others of this sort are around, I would like to hear about
them. And if anyone knows of a real survey of current activities, such as
Oakman and Hockey attempted about a decade ago, I'd like to hear about that
too.