humanities computing (22)

Tue, 21 Feb 89 19:41:59 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 631. Tuesday, 21 Feb 1989.

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 89 12:58:26 EST
From: Joseph Raben <JQRBH@cunyvm.uucp>
Subject: Re: Queries (93)

Benoit Laplante's query reminds us that we have had no comprehensive survey
since Hockey and Oakman made their heroic efforts in 1980. But we should be
grateful for the next best attempt, John J. Hughes' BITS, BYTES AND BIBLICAL
STUDIES (Grand Rapids MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1987). Despite its
title, this book of 643 pages is a remarkably comprehensive (almost too
comprehensive) survey of practically everything going on in humanities
computing and many tangential areas. By amplifying the book with his excellent
newsletter, Hughes is performing a prodigious service which has not been
generally noticed.