JANET addresses (28)

Mon, 6 Feb 89 20:06:50 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 567. Monday, 6 Feb 1989.

Date: 5 February 1989
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: JANET addresses

Terry Harpold has usefully noted that May Katzen's address, given in a
recent note about how to access HUMBUL, is out of sequence for users not
within JANET (the Joint Academic NETwork of the U.K.). I'm afraid I have
become so accustomed to reversing JANET addresses for use on
Bitnet/NetNorth that I forgot to add the appropriate warning to May's
notice. My apologies.

So, in general, given a JANET address such as
"realmensch@UK.AC.location", users on Bitnet/NetNorth/EARN should write
"realmensch@location.AC.UK", where "realmensch" is the userid and
"location" may consist of one or more parts separated by periods. You
will see several examples of (reversed) JANET addresses on Humanist's
membership list.

Willard McCarty