database management software (60)

Fri, 27 Jan 89 21:46:58 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 540. Friday, 27 Jan 1989.

(1) Date: Thu, 26 Jan 89 23:07 EST (37 lines)
From: Ezra Zubrow <APYEZRA@ubvmsc.bitnet>
Subject: RE: database management software, cont. (14)

(2) Date: Fri, 27 Jan 89 11:26 EST (7 lines)
From: <BURT@BRANDEIS>
Subject: databases

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 89 23:07 EST
From: Ezra Zubrow <APYEZRA@ubvmsc.bitnet>

dbase iii +,
rbase system 5
mostly for archaeological site control, specimen cataloging,
and keeping track of collection development (space, funds, etc.)
On the main frames (Vax cluster and primes) we use primarily
info-ususally in combination with ARC ie ARC-INFO; which is
a Geographic Information System. We are part of the
National Center for Geographic Information Analysis and we
are a beta test site. We are just beginning to use an
object oriented data base system which is also a GIS
called System nine. It runs on sun and prime platforms.

We have been using these systems to examine historic and
present trade patterns as well as changing demographic patterns
over time and space.

Best wishes,
Ezra

Ezra Zubrow
Director, Anthropology GIS System Laboratory, Suny/Buffalo
Prof. Dept of Anthro.
----
--/ \--
--/ \---