scanners and gray-scale (34)

Thu, 12 Jan 89 19:53:21 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 496. Thursday, 12 Jan 1989.

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 89 09:36 EST
From: "J. S. Reed" <UNCJSR@UNC.BITNET>
Subject: Re: Scanners and gray-scale? (38)

We've recently bought scanning equipment here at the Institute
for Research in Social Science (U. of N.C.). Our hardware wallah
finally settled on a package that seems to deliver a lot of bang for
the buck, as follows:

Hewlett-Packard scanner $900
document feeder $350
PC interface $350
Truescan software (from Calera Recognition, Inc) $3500

You'll also need a PC to interface with, so add another few thousand
if you don't have one lying around.

Nobody here has any strong opinions on how many shades of grey scale
to have, but there is a consensus that the flatbed H-P is preferable to
the page model, since it is less subject to jamming.

We don't have this stuff yet -- we've just ordered it -- but we've
seen demonstrations, and it seems to be perfect for our applications,
which mostly involve getting machine-readable copy of some pretty
filthy documents. Good luck.