[ICA-EGAD-RiC] RiC-O use of existing related ontologies [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

CLAVAUD Florence (Archives nationales) florence.clavaud at culture.gouv.fr
Tue Oct 4 03:06:03 EDT 2016

Hi John,

We have listed several ontologies whose domains are related to RiC one,
and/or whose design is interesting for our own work.
PROV-O is one of them, along with OAI-ORE, FOAF, the Organization
Ontology, LODE, and others.
And course CIDOC-CRM, which can be considered in a way as an upper
ontology, like DOLCE.

We most probably will not borrow any class or property from these
existing domain ontologies.

We will rather build a domain ontology from the archival concepts and
relations defined in RiC-CM (with a finer level of granularity of
course), where any institution or person (mainly archivists, but also
records managers, users...) can find what it/he/she needs for describing
records and their contexts. Then we will align RiC-O to other ontologies
when possible.

We can tell much more a few weeks later.

Best regards,

Florence Clavaud
EGAD member, RiC-O development lead

Document sans nom

Florence Clavaud

Conservateur en chef du patrimoine | Chief curator

Chargée de mission, responsable des référentiels documentaires |
Authority records and Vocabularies project leader

Direction des fonds

Archives nationales

59 rue Guynemer

90001

93383 Pierrefitte-sur-Seine Cedex --- France

Téléphone : +33 (0)1 75 47 20 20