[ICA-EGAD-RiC] RiC

george charonitis charonitisg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 09:00:25 EDT 2016

Congratulations, a major step.

Here are some remarks:

1) Agree with Mr. Chris Hurley about conceptualization of relations. Glad
that EGAD is going to form a draft. Hope the task will be accomplished soon
in order to be incorporated into the final version of RiC, not afterwards.

2) Need definitions-clarification:
a) Context. "Records in Contexts", many "contexts" in the text, but there
is not a clear definition.
b) Provenance: Associated with Agent only? Does Function constitute an
element of provenance (as ISDF states?). If yes which one: Function,
Function (abstract), or both?
c) What is the relationship between context and provenance? Which of the
entities in RiC fall into context and which into provenance?
d) Creation, accumulation, selection: what do all these terms mean? What
are the relationships between them?

3) Function: Would it be better if stated as "business function"?

4) Date - Place: Having no records management experience, I cannot
understand why treat them as entities rather than shared properties of all
entities.

5) Arrangement vs Classification. When it comes to relationships among
record sets I think that classification is one of the possible ways of
arrangement. Record sets may be arranged according to a classification
scheme or not. After all, recordkeeping is contingent on circumstances of
creation and use. We also use the notion of archival arrangement. In other
words, the definition provided in P26 and P27 needs enrichment and
clarification of relationships and differences between the two properties.

6) P31 Scope and Content (property of record set): Scope is null. I think
that Scope of P9 (Scope and Content of Record (Entity)) can be copied here.

7) I think that ISDIAH is an unnecessary standard from a theoretical point
of view, because it documents the custody of records that is a
relationship. Furthermore, incorporating into RiC properties which are
considered to be associated with institutions with archival holdings (P38
Services to the public, P40 Operating hours, and P41 Facilities) could be
misleading because those are properties of every public agency,  for
example. On the contrary, Contact Information is crucial in documenting a
trasferring agency for example or a donor.

Best regards,
George Charonitis
Archivist at General State Archives of Greece