[ICA-EGAD-RiC] Relationships in RiC

Pitti, Daniel V. (dvp4c) dpitti at virginia.edu
Wed Sep 21 05:34:09 EDT 2016

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for beginning the discussion, and in particular for focusing on relations.

I think you are correct in saying that the current list of relations under each of the high-level entities is not a conceptual model. I would say that working our way to the relations being properly conceptually modeled is underway but by no means complete. The list as is, however, would not be a good implementation specification because, as you point out repeatedly, it is redundant. The list, in fact, comes from a much shorter list of unique types, expanded to make explicit each possible relation of each entity, as domain, to each of the other entities, as range. We did this to make it easy for a reader to explore the possible ways each entity may be related to the other entities. (We also assumed that some people would be alarmed at the length of the list!). Aside from the methods we use to develop and maintain the relations, we are contemplating, that the relation types ought to be expressed in at least two ways in the printed model: an ordered list (alphabetical?), classified by conceptual type (along the lines you suggest in your classification below, though more in a minute), with among other bits to be decided, clear definitions; and then additional lists (tables, really), one for each entity, giving the available relations for each entity to each of the other entities. Also, I think, it would be good to make the relation types available as an online reference resource, to enable searching and exploring from multiple perspectives. We would welcome suggestions in this regard.

The unique list of types used to generate the repetitive lists as given, by the way, would make a better implementation specification.

The need to classify and conceptually organized the types is very much on our agenda. I think your first pass very good, but others have been suggested. Gavan McCarthy advocated categorizing them to me a while back, though we have not had a chance to pursue his suggestions. And more recently, Ken Thibodeau did the same, with a suggested approach based on UML. And so a good open discussion that leads to rough consensus (“I can live with that”) if not absolute consensus, would be very welcome. I think it would be a great opportunity to push our understandings and the model to greater clarity. Also, to make consensus easier to achieve, it is perfectly possible that some relation types might, in fact, be classified in more than one way. I have not thought this through, but it is almost always the case when the set of things to be classified is sufficiently complex, that a strict classification frequently leads to dilemmas.

As for “associated with.,” you state that "We’ve used that for years as a cop out for making links where we are too lazy or too uncertain to be specific.” I do think it certainly can be used when one is lazy. The model has no cure for that! But it also may be used as a matter of economy, when someone simply does not have the time to investigate further. And finally, it may well be the case there is sufficient evidence to say that A and B are associated with one another, but not enough evidence to be more specific. Further, I would argue, as unsatisfying as “associated with” may be, it is actually quite powerful to know that A and B, as two entities floating around the universe, are somehow associated as opposed to not knowing it. Of course we would want to say “based on this evidence,” as the assertion that A and B are related needs to be based on evidence, sparse though it may be at the time of the assertion. (We have not yet modeled being able to say that Agent A (holding the Position …) asserts that A and B are related based on this evidence (say, a specific record). It is on the agenda.

Again thank you for initiating this discussion.

Regards,
Daniel